Pre-existing clause?

I recently left my job after being employed with them for 10 years and 1 month. My reignation effective October 1,2005. I have not found another job yet but do have prospects. I aslo can not afford the cobra coverage offered by my previous employer. I have not recieved notification that my coverage has been cancelled yet. How long do I have to get a job offering a group plan that I can enroll in? If I do enroll what exactly do I need to make sure I will not have to what for coverage or that the pre-existing clause will not be applied to me? If the insurance company tries to deny me coverage for 6 - 12 months what can I do?I know these are alot of questions but I was drowning in a sea of experts provided by the insurance company I had and no one was offering a liferaft.Thank You so much for providing a place people can ask a question and actually get an answer. (I know some of my questions have previously been answered but not all had. Thats why I included all questions I had.)

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If you find another job that offers coverage under a group health plan and that coverage begins within 63 days of your prior coverage ending, the new plan will not be able to apply a pre-exisiting condition clause to you (the plan might request a certificate of creditable coverage which your prior employer must provide to you). However, if you go without coverage for more than 63 days and the new plan has a pre-exisiting condition clause, it will apply. Therefore, you might want to consider COBRA coverage to fill in the gap, if necessary.

Under COBRA, you have 60 days from the date you receive your COBRA notice to elect coverage and 45 days after you elect coverage to pay the premium.

Insurance
Future Hope