Return to Work While on FMLA?

I am a professor on FMLA leave. I returned to my office to obtain some of my personal effects. Now the University is threatening to fire me if I return to campus again. Can they do that?

Response from Ms. Breuer

Good grief, what strange behavior! There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding of the nature and purpose of FMLA leave. I encourage you to protect your job by asking your teaching union to educate whoever has threatened you. There's no reason to pay for a lawyer yet, but this threat is so screwy that you'd be wise to lay down a good paper trail. Make sure you have copies of your FMLA application and any correspondence with the university about this leave. If they threatened you in writing, by all means keep that. Turn to your department chair, your university HR department, your union, anyone who has his/her head screwed on right about human resources issues. If they let you down, turn to a lawyer. Firing you would, as I understand it, be violating your rights under FMLA. Please note that I am NOT an attorney.

the spreads
Can I be barred from working if I'm HIV positive?