what should I do with this mess?

Ok, I am 19 years old (soon to be 20 this weekend) and I recently tested positive for HIV.A close friend of mine works with me and I confided in her with my results. She consoled me and made me feel better about the whole situation. However, a week later, I started to notice a change in my work envoirnment. My boss seemed to be avoiding me and everytime I would come near him he would get a rather disgusted look on his face. Later that month, I was let go for "lack of improvement". Now, I had no complaints from my managers or from him untill that date. I found out after I was fired that my friend had informed my boss because she was worried about the safety of the rest of the employees. ( Mind you I worked in a business where there was no contact with bodily fulids whatsoever). Would I be in the right if I took thsi issue further..or by law do I have to tell my boss about my HIV status?

Response from Ms. Breuer

You never have to tell your boss about your HIV status. Ever. And as you now know, it's rarely a good idea to tell a co-worker, since co-workers are not constrained by law the way supervisors are.

You could pursue this termination, but this may be an expensive lesson in discretion. Please think twice about putting your job at risk by confiding in co-workers, or in anyone at work, for that matter. YOu have the right to keep your diagnosis private.

Ofbenefittoall.com
lawyer