Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

what should I do with this mess?
Oct 26, 2005

Ok, I am 19 years old (soon to be 20 this weekend) and I recently tested positive for HIV.A close friend of mine works with me and I confided in her with my results. She consoled me and made me feel better about the whole situation. However, a week later, I started to notice a change in my work envoirnment. My boss seemed to be avoiding me and everytime I would come near him he would get a rather disgusted look on his face. Later that month, I was let go for "lack of improvement". Now, I had no complaints from my managers or from him untill that date. I found out after I was fired that my friend had informed my boss because she was worried about the safety of the rest of the employees. ( Mind you I worked in a business where there was no contact with bodily fulids whatsoever). Would I be in the right if I took thsi issue further..or by law do I have to tell my boss about my HIV status?

Response from Ms. Breuer

You never have to tell your boss about your HIV status. Ever. And as you now know, it's rarely a good idea to tell a co-worker, since co-workers are not constrained by law the way supervisors are.

You could pursue this termination, but this may be an expensive lesson in discretion. Please think twice about putting your job at risk by confiding in co-workers, or in anyone at work, for that matter. YOu have the right to keep your diagnosis private.

Previous
Ofbenefittoall.com
Next
lawyer

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.