Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Heterosexual Family Dealing with HIV
Sep 19, 2005

We are a hetorosexual Family, with three children (New Addition Born Last week HIV free & Healthy). The econimics of this disease is the hardest thing to deal with, She is on Medicaid, I am the sole provider, and carry two of my children under my work insurance, there are no funds left for my meds. I have been off now for about a year, and the stress of having a baby, preparing, taking care of mommy, and playing Mr. Mom + Working as many hours, and jobs as I can has left me weak, with a dangerously high viral load, Migranes, and severe body aches/ back spasms with no relief in sight as Mom could not work during pregnancy. Every clinic I deal with says I make too much money ($37,000.00 Per year) or what's worse, is when they find out my partner is a woman, and we are both HIV+ Major predjudice, from doctors, and agencies, they are more concerned about her, and seem to be egging on my demise. What is a concerned Father/ Spouse to do, I need my meds, but it takes food off the table, and I am not willing to do that, I have tapped my 401K almost dry, savings gone, all to prep for a good home for my kids. In addition to these issues, I have cardiac issues, and am desperately trying to find an MD. that will manage my whole family's needs, with different doctors, and issues. There is great assistance in Austin, Texas for low, or no income familys, or individuals, the agencies have taken great care of my spouse, But I am a Government employee, and NO service or agency seems to be willing to keep me alive to raise my family, Please Help!!! If it was just me I could afford it, or accept not getting the care, but my heart is with my Kids, and spouse, it is more economically feasable for me to die right now, then my family would be taken care of.

Response from Ms. Breuer

This is such a troubling question. I want to send you to someone who actually cares about your situation, won't waste any of your time and has information about resources available to you.

I have two referrals, both of them independent benefits counselors with many years of experience, both trusted acquaintances:

Jacques Chambers at Helpwithbenefits.com

Michael Van Essen at Ofbenefittoall.com

Your family needs you, and you need your meds. If neither of these gentlemen is able to help you, please ask them for a referral to someone who can. This is one thorny problem, and it's so worth solving!

Strength to you.

Previous
Confidentiality of drugs listed on drug screen
Next
back at work but...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.