Was this legal of them to bar me from work?

I recently had a physical for a job at a small town hospital. I hadn't expected to have to reveal my status, but it ended up with the doctor looking up my meds and discovering it on her own. She proceded to tell me that she had never seen an HIV case before and didn't know if my job in the lab would be able to take me due to my status (mind you this is still with universal precautions and minimal, if any patient contact). This followed with my start date being postponed for 2 days while they barred me from working at their hospital while they checked things out! Now that I am cleared to work, this doesn't seem right on so many levels. Was this legal of them to prevent me from working? Also, is there any grounds to file a complaint of some sort or anything I can do to make it less likely someone in my situation would have to put up with that in the future? Thank you.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Is this how you want to start your job? Filing a complaint becauase of this? They were straightforward with you, they told you the reason for the delay (lack of familiarity with your status and risks it could pose for them or you) and then they cleared you to work--and it only took two days??

You have a lot to be thankful for, in my opinion. They acted like professionals.

Now it's your turn.

Employment at a blood ctr
Question About Job Transfer at Large Corporation