Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Was this legal of them to bar me from work?
Sep 19, 2005

I recently had a physical for a job at a small town hospital. I hadn't expected to have to reveal my status, but it ended up with the doctor looking up my meds and discovering it on her own. She proceded to tell me that she had never seen an HIV case before and didn't know if my job in the lab would be able to take me due to my status (mind you this is still with universal precautions and minimal, if any patient contact). This followed with my start date being postponed for 2 days while they barred me from working at their hospital while they checked things out! Now that I am cleared to work, this doesn't seem right on so many levels. Was this legal of them to prevent me from working? Also, is there any grounds to file a complaint of some sort or anything I can do to make it less likely someone in my situation would have to put up with that in the future? Thank you.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Is this how you want to start your job? Filing a complaint becauase of this? They were straightforward with you, they told you the reason for the delay (lack of familiarity with your status and risks it could pose for them or you) and then they cleared you to work--and it only took two days??

You have a lot to be thankful for, in my opinion. They acted like professionals.

Now it's your turn.

Previous
Employment at a blood ctr
Next
Question About Job Transfer at Large Corporation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.