Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RELOCATING WITHIN THE STATE. WHAT DO I DO?
Sep 19, 2005

Hi

Thanks in advance for answering this question. I am planning on relocating to San Francisco from Los Angeles in March of 2006. I have been employed for the past 3 years for a company that provides excellent insurance, and I have made between $68-72,000 a year at this job. I will not have a job when I move, and I am worried about covering the cost of my HIV meds. I will be quitting my current job. Am I COBRA eligible if I quit? How much does COBRA cost? Did I make too much money to be covered through ADAP? If so, how long do I have to be unemployed, or working at a new job in the right salary bracket, to be covered by ADAP? Do I have any options, other than stopping my meds? I am very frightened, and feeling very trapped. Thanks again.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Lynn Franzoi and I have talked about your question. She tells me that yes, you would be eligible for COBRA, and that the premium is 102% of the employer's cost.

As to ADAP, please contact a benefits director at an AIDS service organization like APLA or AIDS Service Center in Pasadena. They can explain how to sign up.

Please do all you can to avoid stopping your meds. They're your lifeline right now.

Which raises the question your email doesn't answer. March 2006 is five months away. Is there some reason you can't job hunt for a job in SF so that you won't have to face this T-cell-munching stress? The literature on employment tells us that HIV-positive people who are employed do better clinically than those who are not working.

Need some help and ideas on initiating a SF job search? Contact Positive Resource Center in SF. I know several of those folks and they're terrific.

Previous
changes at work from HR director after intial medical checkup
Next
Employment at a blood ctr

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.