The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

new individual insurance
Sep 16, 2005

I was diagnosed one year ago with HIV prior to obtaining a student health insurance policy through my university. I never informed my policy as I was eligible for a clinical trial which paid my care in full for one year. I am also employed as a consultant but have no group health options available through my employer. How can I go about obtaining an individual policy which will cover my ongoing care? How do preexisting condition exclusions work given that I have made no HIV claim in the last year but have had continuous coverage through my school policy? Are there plans that cover prescriptions?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

You would qualify for a HIPAA policy. Check with your local insurance plans through Blue Cross or Blue Shield as you should be eligible for a HIPAA policy as long as you don't have a break in coverage that is greater than 63 days.

copays to high, don't know what to do
Hippa regulations regarding coverage

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint