The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Need HELP!!!, with Insurance matters
Aug 23, 2005

My cobra is about to run out in 2 months. I was diagnosed with HIV in 2003. I am working but it is a part time job and does not give benefits to adjuncts. I have asked my former employer for a conversion plan and they said they do not offer it to HMO's. I know if i lose this insurance it would be impossible to get more. What should I do? Scared in atlanta

Response from Ms. Franzoi

You would be eligible to purchase a HIPAA policy once your COBRA coverage ends as long as you don't have a break in coverage of greater than 63 days. Blue Cross and Blue Shield offer HIPAA policies as do all other insurance companies that offer individual policies. You could contact a local insurance broker to help you determine what plans would be available to you in your area.

Insurance & HIV+

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint