The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV + Database
Jul 14, 2005

Hi there, I was wondering if you could help me out here, I would like to know if the US government has a database of HIV+ people who were diagnosed in the US, I'm English but after falling ill in the US three years ago I was diagnosed HIV+ and now I would like to visit my untie who lives in Florida, is it possible that the US government has linked my passport with my health status? Please help.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Good grief! We haven't gone THAT far over the edge!

Physicians report HIV+ test results to the public health service by a variety of means--sometimes names, sometimes numbers, sometimes other identifiers. None of that goes into a national database linked to passports.

However, this country is happy to discriminate against HIV+ visitors. Please read the section on HIV at the US Department of State Website. If you are carrying HIV meds, you may run into difficulty--the reason that international conferences on HIV are never held here, since many conferees wouldn't make it past customs. Disgraceful, but true. If you don't need to carry meds, go to Florida and keep your HIV status to yourself. Or: if your Florida relative is cool with it, you could ship a supply of meds ahead and ask your relative to hold it for your arrival.

HIV Question on Pre-Employment Medical Questionnaire
Follow-up to HIV Disclosure to Partners - a reference for Criminal Statutes on HIV Transmission

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint