JOB ASKING ME

My employer has given me a medical questionnaire to fill out. I have been here for two years. It wants to know my meds im on. It also asks if I am + for HIV and HEP. I am going for class room training out of town and they claim they need to know this. I work in communications for police. I am thinking that this is against the law and no ones business. If I am correct how should I handle this?

Response from Ms. Breuer

You are correct. As you'll see in other responses on this site, questions about your meds are fishing expeditions, whatever their real motivations, and have to be dealt with as that. Have your doc write in the blank for that question some variation on "X is under my care and takes no medications that would prevent him/her from fulfilling the essential functions of this job." Usually it's a butt-covering move to ask you in the first place, and that's a great butt-cover answer. YOu should hear nothing more from them.

As to the direct questions about HIV and hepatitis, once again, ask your doc for the right language. It is likely to be something like "X has no condition that would interfere with successful performance of this job." You cannot be forced to disclose to your employer (unless you're a surgeon) against your will.

FBI Special Agent
HIPAA policy - What exactly is this?