reveal of HIV status for endoscopy screening necessary?

Hi, due to my family history of colon cancer, I have been on regular endoscopy (eg. colonscopy) screening by a doctor who is very close to my family. I was diagnosed positive after the last screening by a different doc.. Now that my next endoscopy screening is coming up, my HIV doc advised me to reveal my status to the endoscopy doc so that I would not be liable for any legal issues if any accidents do occur during the endoscopy since it is invasive. On the other hand, I am very worried and afraid to reveal to someone who is very close to my family and of course I also felt morally wrong if I do not reveal to him. Would appreciate it if you could give a 2nd opinion. Thanks so much for your time.

Dilemma

Response from Ms. Breuer

Disclosing to a health care provider is always a good idea in one way: a complete picture of your health can assist a specialist such as the endoscopy doc. Since there is a family relationship, I encourage you to begin the conversation by asking the doc to affirm your complete confidentiality and to acknowledge that the requirements of the law override any family relationships that may exist. THEN disclose. HIV can have an effect on colon health, so he does need to know.

There's your second opinion!

curious George wants to know
"medically" ready for work