Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Follow-up question re: new job!

Thanks so much for your quick response concerning my questions re: starting to work and concerns about health insurance/HIV/confidentiality, etc.

I'm still unclear, however, how my right to privacy can be protected if my illness does in fact result in "high claims" and cause the company's overall cost of premiums to increase. Wouldn't the company want to (have a right to?) know who the individual is that is causing their premiums to increase? Even if the info wasn't disclosed, it wouldn't be hard to figure out who the person is since I'll be the new guy in the mix.

Am I worrying too much? Sorry, but I'm looking for some assurances.

THANKS FOR A QUICK REPLY. STARTING WORK THIS WEDNESDAY! Yikes!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I'm sorry but I don't think I can give you the assurance that you are looking for. Your medical information is protected under HIPAA's privacy rules. However, in a small group, if the plan is experience rated, the insurer might tell the employer what the claims costs are in total and the increase from one year to the next. The insurer cannot disclose specific claim information about you.

Retirement and health insurance
Your answer about discloser