Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

medical insurance
Jun 2, 2005

I am raising my 12 year old niece who is HIV+ since birth and has had full medicaid benefits since birth. My worry is when she becomes of legal age and starts college. I presume she can continue with Medicaid while still in college, however, when she gets a job, how does it effect her Medicaid? I don't believe she can stay on Medicaid if she is fully employed, but can she mainstream into her employers health plan without disclosing her status? Clearly her monthly statements for medication would show up in the insurance company's database. This is of great concern for me now although she is only twelve. We live in NYC.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

You should address these questions with Medicaid. However, I think it is premature to do this because she is only twelve. Many changes could occur between now and when she gets her first job. However, based on current practices, if she were to become employed at a company that offers group health coverage to its employees and she signs up for coverage during her enrollment period, she would be covered regardless of her HIV status.

Previous
Starting a new job
Next
Insurance options after COBRA and if self employed

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.