Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

"Let Go" From Job
May 11, 2005

I started a job with Dillard's in Orlando, FL on October 30th of last year. I had worked through December and in January started feeling ill, etc. My insurance didn't kick in until Feb. 1st so I decided to just wait it out. at that point I went to the Dr. and he oredered an HIV test-one I haven't had in years. It came back positive, meanwhile I had just been getting weaker as the days went on and I started missing work. The Manager knew that I was ill and on march 28th they let me go because "you haven't been here 6 months yet and you only get a week of emergency leave and that has been exhausted." I inquired that even no matter the circumstances, HIV, Cancer or any other life threating illness that would override such a rule. Of course, the answer was no it was cut and dry, black and white and it wasn't their personal feelings it's what the company's policy states. Even with my Doctor's notes and documentation they stood firm and said goodbye. To me it sounds a little fishy and I really could use some advice whether or not I should seek legal counsel or even bothering to fight it. I could stand the time off to get better since my cd4 was at 25, yes 25 on March 29th. the day after I was let go, missing my 5 month anniversary with Dillard's by 2 days. Thank You for any help!

Response from Ms. Breuer

It's really hard to fight being let go in the first six months. I encourage you to take some time to build up your health and strength--that comes first!--and then to re-enter the world of work from a stronger base. A CD4 of 25 means you already have a full-time job: getting better. I know that the letting go from Dillard's hurt. But it may have been a gift in disguise. Now you're free to work on improving your health status. I wish you well.

Previous
hospital policy for employment
Next
Restrictions and policy for HIV + nursing graduate

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.