Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Looking into a career change
May 11, 2005

I was diagnosed with HIV in October of 2003. Since this time my interest in the medical field has grown. I currently am a certified pharmacy technician but would love to see myself in a more prestigious role in healthcare. Most recently I have considered going back to either nursing anesthetis school or pharmacy school but I am wondering if I should even try? I have read past postings and other websites about limitiations and discrimination and it bothers me to think that I might not be able to do something I love. What kind of steps should I take to ensure that all my actions to advance my career are not in vain?

Thank you, BNYC

Response from Ms. Breuer

Have you read the postings from people with HIV who want to be nurses? The answers? We consistently tell people to go for it. HIV is not a valid basis for discrimination in the health care field unless a person will be performing blind invasive procedures. Please go back and read the many responses I've written about how to manage the hiring process if you're an HIV-positive nurse. The barriers are imagined, for the most part.

Previous
Supervisor disclosed my hiv status to co-workers.
Next
Academic Application

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.