Looking into a career change

I was diagnosed with HIV in October of 2003. Since this time my interest in the medical field has grown. I currently am a certified pharmacy technician but would love to see myself in a more prestigious role in healthcare. Most recently I have considered going back to either nursing anesthetis school or pharmacy school but I am wondering if I should even try? I have read past postings and other websites about limitiations and discrimination and it bothers me to think that I might not be able to do something I love. What kind of steps should I take to ensure that all my actions to advance my career are not in vain?

Thank you, BNYC

Response from Ms. Breuer

Have you read the postings from people with HIV who want to be nurses? The answers? We consistently tell people to go for it. HIV is not a valid basis for discrimination in the health care field unless a person will be performing blind invasive procedures. Please go back and read the many responses I've written about how to manage the hiring process if you're an HIV-positive nurse. The barriers are imagined, for the most part.

Supervisor disclosed my hiv status to co-workers.
Academic Application