Supervisor disclosed my hiv status to co-workers.

I work for a very large company. I was diagnoised with HIV about 3 years ago. At that time I took FMLA and my I told my supervisor and HR of my HIV conditon. She was told by HR that she can't disclose this information to anyone. This month I found out that she has told my co-workers that I have AIDS! I have been on FMLA since I found out, I'm so severly depressed I don't know what to do. I have talked to a couple attorneys and because of the Size of the company I work for they don't seem to want to help me. HR has investigated my complaint and they said the investigation was inconclusive. There is NO other way for anyone I work with to Know I have HIV if my Manager hadn't told them... WHAT DO I DO... I NEED HELP... I have been suicidal over this and I'm having a very hard time! Please help

Response from Ms. Breuer

Depression is anger turned inward, and this seems to be a great reason for anger. If your own HR department is unresponsive, then document everything you can (did you put your diagnosis in writing on your FMLA application? Obtain a copy of that.) and take your concern to your local EEOC. Their number is in the government listing of your phone book.

The size of your company--large--would in most cases be an inducement to a lawyer, not a discouraging factor, so something's wrong. Discuss it with an EEOC counselor. After one contact from the EEOC office, most HR departments sit up and take notice.

Concerned about finding insurance when self employed
Looking into a career change