Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Stress & Disability
Apr 9, 2005

Hi Bob,

I read your answer to the question about stress and disability. One of the keys, as you point out, is to have a physician who will listen. Just as important, is to have a physician who knows how to document the findings properly. As I am certain you know, most people when they go to their physician answer the question, "How do you feel?" with something like, "Pretty good." When that ends up in the medical record the case for disability becomes more difficult to make.

Due to too many residual problems from my near-fatal seroconversion illness in the summer of 2003, I have retired from the practice of anesthesiology. I simply could not take the chance that I might severely harm or even kill someone. So as to not waste my medical education & training I have become a Certified Independent Medical Examiner. I am currently writing an article on impaiment & disability issues related to HIV/AIDS, which are woefully inadequate represented in the medical literature.

Another key point is to hire a lawyer, if possible, who has familiarity with disability issues.

On another note, pun intented, I run the largest classical label actually located in Washington, DC and am a member of the Recording Academy and ASCAP. I am intrigued by the fact that you are a concert pianist. Do you have any commercial recordings out? If not, are you interested in making one. There could be a tie-in with HIV/AIDS.

Finally, are you familiar with the Campaign to End AIDS (http://www.aidsvote.org for more info)? We are putting on a concert here in DC over the Columbus Day weekend as part of a multi-day HIV/AIDS awarenes-raising campaign. I am very involved in the organization and am looking to have at least one classical music performer. I cannot think of anyone better than you. Would you be willing to play? Unfortunately, we have limited funds so you would have to pay your own way and possibly your hotel.

In any event, hoepfully some day we will meet.

Best regards, John

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello John,

I absolutely agree with your comments. Too often medical records do not accurately reflect the reality of "living with HIV." Yes, an HIV-savvy lawyer or benefits counselor can be an invaluable resource. If you get the chance, please send me a copy of your article on HIV/AIDS-related impairment and disability.

Regarding your other "note," I've edited your question so as not to post any private information on the Internet. Thank you for your kind offer to perform in D.C. over the Columbus Day weekend. Yes, I'm familiar with the Campaign to End AIDS (http://www.aidsvote.org) and I'm strongly supportive of the effort! Unfortunately, it appears I'm already previously committed for that weekend but that engagement has not been completely confirmed at the moment. Consequently there is a chance I could attend the D.C. event. It would be an honor to perform and donate my services for this cause. Can you send me additional information about the concert you are planning date, venue, target audience, etc? I'll let you know if my schedule clears for that weekend. Whether I'm there or not I do wish you the very best of luck with the event! Chances are our paths will cross either in the realm of music or advocacy/education.

Dr. Bob

Previous
PARVO REACURANCE?
Next
"Trial Tired, Etc..."

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.