Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Live Organ Donor Denied Life Insurance
Apr 1, 2005

My mother has cancer in her liver.Her only chance of survival is to receive a liver transplant. Fortuneately, I am compatable and able to donate half of my liver to her( these two halves will regenerate into full livers). Because this procedure has risk assosciated with it I felt it would be prudent to finally get life insurance and disability. Getting insurance is something I had wanted to do for awhile. Being a donor solidified my want for coverage.

I have a wife and 2 children and I am the only wage earner.

I applied for insurance with a company I will not mention and I felt it necessary to be up front about my being a donor for my mother and that an operation would be involved. Unfortuneately this company said they could not help me until I had succesfully recovered from this operation.I feel I am being penalized for my truthfullness. Now, I am a very healthy individual and was told by the agent I was dealing with that I would be considered low risk.

My questions: Can this company deny me coverage even though I was honest and deemed low risk?

Can I apply for insurance with another company and not mention the upcoming donor operation?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Unfortunately, you should've applied for life insurance before you decided to be a donor for your mother. The insurance company can deny to offer you a policy because you are about to have a medical procedure that has risk. If you were to contact another insurance company and not disclose this information or fail to answer the question on the application re denial of coverage by another insurer honestly, you might get the coverage. However, if you were to die due to complications from the procedure, the insurance company could deny the death benfit based on your failure to fully disclose.

Previous
i afread
Next
Intermittent paid family leave denied

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.