switching jobs

I am currently emplyed by a large corporation and have Health Insurance coverage. I am planning on leaving to join a start up company. my last day of employment will be may 20 and my start date is june 7. teh new company is giving me health insurance. I am HIV+ and I am concerned about the two weeks between employment and how the switch works. I know I must stay covered in order to maintain helth insurance coverage but the way I see it if I start two weeks after I leave they will not have me enrolled in the program until then so what should I do?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

First, check to see when your current coverage will cease. Many health plans of large employers continue coverage through the end of the month in which you leave employment. Therefore, you might have coverage until the end of May. If you need to have coverage until June 7, you can take COBRA for a month. Two weeks without coverage would not impact you from a pre-exisiting exclusion standpoint. Under HIPAA, if your break in coverage is less than 63 days, your period of coverage prior to the break will be considered Creditable Coverage.

Short Term / Long Term Disability - Health Benefits
i afread