Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Insurance Health Questionnaire
Mar 24, 2005

I recently started a new job with a company in VA and on their Insurance enrollment form there is a question asking if I am HIV positive. I have been positive for a few years, but this is the first time I've been asked this question on an insurance enrollment form. The company is pretty small and the office manager is the one who will receive the forms, since we do not have a HR Department, and I don't feel comfortable with her knowing about me. Do I have to answer this question on the form or is there some way of getting around it?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I don't understand why the company would have you send the completed form to the office manager instead of to the insurance company. With the HIPAA regulations, the office manager could not discclose what she sees on the form. In addition, if I were here, I would be hesitiant to have that information in light of all the HIPAA privacy regulations. I would check into sending the form directly to the insurer.

Previous
health insurance
Next
Short Term / Long Term Disability - Health Benefits

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.