Disability

I am HIV+ and my employer offers short and longterm disability. It is 50% (or 60% if you pay more) of my base salary. My question is: are there taxes taken out of disability?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If you pay the full cost of the disability coverage with after-tax dollars, the benefit when paid is not subject to taxes. However, if you pay the premium with pre-tax dollars or your employer pays the premium, the benefit is taxable to you when paid. If you pay a portion of the premium and the employer pays a portion, part of the benefit when paid will not be subject to taxes (part paid for by you) and a portion will be subject to taxes (part attributable to employer contributions).

is medicare considered a "group from HIPAA standpoint?
6 month exclusion