Corporate Confidence

I went to a meeting with my corporation. They informed us that we would be working with a company called Corporate Wellness Inc. In any instance that someone may have some infectious disease, they need to be sent home and this company called for an evaluation. One of the things listed on this form that has been called about is HIV. I just found out I was positive. I went to my managers and explained to them that I might need to cut back hours and take time off for doctors appointments and such. I am now under the impression that they will be calling this company to discuss my status and the information will be relayed to my corprate office. Is this legal? If I told them in confidence, who can they tell someone else my status?

Response from Ms. Breuer

This is confusing. Infectious? Or contagious? There's no reason for anyone to be "sent home" with hepatitis B or HIV, for example, both of which are infectious.

Without knowing what Corporate Wellness does, I can't address the question of how they might be involved. But why did you tell your managers that you might need time off for medical appointments, and that you might need to cut back hours? Are you unable to fulfill all of your job's essential functions now?

I can't tell enough from this posting to give you any advice except this: if you meet with Corporate Wellness, ask them for a written guarantee that your medical information will be kept confidential. Your diagnosis should never be part of what they discuss with your employer.

insurance transfer concern
National Working Positive Coalition