Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Does Medicare Count as Insurance

I am currently on disability and covered by my previous employer's policy through COBRA. This policy will end in August of 2005. As of January 2005, I received my Medicare card. I would like to return to work later this year. Assuming that I'm unable to do so until after my COBRA runs out, will my Medicare count as insurance for qualification on any new policy I would receive with a new employer? Also, do you think Medicare Advantage plans are worth the cost given that prescription drug coverage will be provided with Medicare in 2006? THANKS!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Medicare will be considered creditable coverage if you were to become covered under an employer's because you return to work. With respect to Medicare Advantage v. Medicare as of 1/1/06 with Part D coverage for prescriptions, you really have to evaluate the differences in the two plans to determine which works best for you given your Rx costs, Physicians, etc.

Insurance Incontestability and HIVDear
self employed and need individual health and life insurance