Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Insurance Incontestability and HIVDear
Mar 9, 2005

Dear Experts,

Recently I got a term life insurance policy in which I had to take a physical exam and blood test for HIV, which I passed. A few weeks after receiving this policy, I tested positive for HIV at the clinic (anonymous testing).

I plan on seeing my Doctor to for a full evaluation and to start treatment, but Im worried that the insurance company will use the 2-year incontestability clause to cancel my policy claiming that this is a preexisting condition. Can they do this? Also, should I be careful what I tell my doctor about earlier symptoms, as those could be recorded on my chart as serve as evidence that this condition was preexisting. I live in California if this makes any difference.

Thanks for you consideration.

Regards,

Worried.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

As long as you answered the questions on the application honestly, I do not think they can cancel your policy. Additional protection for you to keep the policy is that they required a blood test and you were negative on that test.

Previous
Nervous about finding insurance
Next
Does Medicare Count as Insurance

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.