Cobra not considered 'trustworthy'-can we do HIPAA?

I was let go by a small company with a history of poor health plan administration (they failed to pay one month to Blue Cross and only told us later; they promised to mail my Cobra payment and did not for several weeks; and more behaviour ) I lost faith and asked for my money back and am enrolling in HIPAA. I had very good reasons not to trust that they would take care of me. Now my partner has a major surgery tomorrow and the Blue Cross representative has not completed their decision on my enrollment in HIPAA. They have not raised the issue yet, but do we have reasons to fear it? Everything else is apparently fine, just their administrative process is slow and our timing is unfortunate(out of our control). Hoping for some help. Pretty desperate.

Thanks,

George

Response from Ms. Franzoi

You have a problem. HIPAA policies require that if you have the option of continuation coverage under COBRA, you must elect COBRA and exhaust your COBRA benefits before applying for a HIPAA policy.

Chemo Treatment for Myeloma and HIV
Denied Insurance Claim Due to HIV