Chemo Treatment for Myeloma and HIV

I have just been diagnosed with Myeloma. I have been HIV+ for 10+ years and I'm on the HART cocktail. Will Chemo therapy for the Myeloma force me to stop my HIV meds and run the risk of the HIV running wild? I am about to meet with the Oncology and Hemotology folks to discuss my options but I'm worried they may not have all the answers with HIV AND Myeloma together... Thanks, Steve

The diagnosis of HIV and multiple myeloma together is uncommon, but certainly not unheard of. I have had several patients with both conditions and antiretroviral therapy was not stopped during the myeloma treatment. Early HIV medications like AZT were known for potential bone marrow toxicity, newer medications are less likely to cause such problems.

One of major decisions in contemporary myeloma therapy is whether or not autologous hematopoietic cell transplantation should be considered. This is a procedure in which stem cells are collected from the blood and subsequently re-infused at a later time. There have also been other significant advances in therapy including the use of thalidomide for some patients.

See what the specialists have to say and ask if they have experience with HIV as well as myeloma. Best of luck to you!

concerned about my boss
Cobra not considered 'trustworthy'-can we do HIPAA?