Works Comp with HIV

I work for the Federal Govt and I am HIV +. I have informed HR about my condition. I recently realize I need to go on light duty(cant do heavy lifting and such,dealing with public)Can I trequest to go on short trem dis or workers comp instead on doint light duty? My doctor will backme on my claim for workers comp or dist. how should I go about this with the Federal Govt?

Response from Ms. Breuer

If you need to go on light duty, the least disruptive move you can make in your job is to request an accommodation of your disability, backing up that request with a doctor's note. The note should not reference your diagnosis. It should describe your functional limitations--the things you can no longer do.

I would encourage you to save short term or long term disability leave for later. Try an accommodation first. Many people who live with HIV who are working do better clinically than those who are not working.

Workers comp is for on-the-job injury. It doesn't apply in your situation.

termininated due to "plant reorganization"
knowing someone has aids