Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Background checks and applying for jobs
Jan 14, 2005

This is the second time I have asked this question (but got no answer the first time). I moved to New York State earlier this year from Massachusetts and am looking for a full-time, permanent job. Can a potential employer find out my HIV status or what medications I take, etc. (via my medical history) during a background check? I know that HIPPA is in place to protect this information and I read the consent forms allowing them to do a background check on me when applying for a job and it does not mention health information at all, but, I'm still suspicious. Is this something I need to worry about? Is there any way that they can get the information that I am HIV+ or any of my health information (without me giving them written consent to do so)? Please let me know, I'm very anxious about this and am having a problem finding a full-time, permanent job (which I never have before in my life) and it is making me start to worry and wonder. Thank you.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Difficulty in finding a job could certainly arouse your suspicions, but your medical history is not easy to obtain for a prospective employer--yet. (Be vigilant as this Congress begins to chip away at privacy protections, and get ready to email your congressperson, often and clearly!) A background check will reveal convictions, bankruptcies, that sort of thing, but not your HIV status. The only way they can learn your status is through you telling them.

Previous
On Hold!...what next?....
Next
On Hold...what next?..

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.