The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

scared about switching health plans
Jan 7, 2005

i am hiv+ and i have individual health insurance (cigna) and pay $6500yr. my partner works for a large company that offers health insurance (aetna) to domestic partners. he has worked there for 4 years and i still have not joined his plan because i am afraid 1) that they will make me fill out a form that makes me disclose i am + and his boss would find out. do the forms go direclty to aetna or to an office administrator. 2) If he leaves this company will i be able to get quality individual health insurance again? 3) my doctor says aetna is terrible and he does not accept it - but will make an exception for me - are some healthcare companies better than others in paying for things - like androgel etc.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Assuming this is a mid-size to large employer, your partner should only have to provide "proof" of your domestic partner relationship in accordance with plan rules. This is typically proof of residing together, some proof of financial interdependence, domestic partner registration (where available), etc. You should not have to fill out any medical questionnaire.

If he were to leave the company, you would be able to purchase a HIPAA policy as long as you didn't have a break in coverage of greater than 63 days.

With respect to insurance companies, it depends on the plan that the employer buys. It could be an insured plan such as a PPO or an HMO or the employer might be employing the insurance company as an administrator to administer a self-insured plan. How the coverage works depends on the plan design.

Laid off-Insurance cancelled
what does creditable coverage mean?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint