Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

AB2208 Domestic Partnership gets Medical Coverage same as spouse
Jan 7, 2005

Hi! I am writing in regards to the California Law AB2208 going into effect on January 1, 2005. This law requires all insurance companies and all employers to offer Domestic Partners the same benefits that a spouse would recieve. Were I worked I filled out theinsurance paper to ad my partner I submitted them to Human Resources (who know my story and my partner) with our Domestic Partnership Papers registered with the sat. They submitted the forms an were to that I could not ad my lover until July when they renew their policies. The law states any insurance plan or any employer that offer any insurance including healthcare, that is ISSUED,AMENDED, DELIVERED, OR RENEWED in this date on or after January 1, 2005. My question is can I force the to give my lover the coverage. Even though I have been HIV+ for the past 18 years, he has no medical problems at this time. Or do you feel that I should wait until July. Thank you Fred

Response from Ms. Franzoi

AB 2208 which requires insured health plans to provide the same health care coverage to same-sex domestic partners who are registered in the state as it provides to spouses is effective for HMO contracts and health insurance policies that are issued, renewed or amended on or after January 2, 2005. Based on the circumstances that you describe, it appears that the health plan contract under which you are covered will renew on 7/1/05. Assuming this is the case, your employer doesn't have to extend the coverage until 7/1/05.

Previous
Follow up to LTD Types of Work
Next
Double DIpping

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.