Employment Drug Screening & Sustiva

My Dr. alerted me to the possibility of Sustiva causing false positive drug screening results for Marijuana. In addition, various literature I've encountered makes mention of same. Friends of mine however who have taken recent pre-employment drug tests without disclosing their Sustiva prescription on the drug screening forms have not experienced any false positive results for Marijuana. I am slated to take a pre-employment drug screening test though nowhere on my control form is there a question asking for a listing of currently prescribed medications. Has drug testing advanced enough such that chances of Marijuana false positives attributable to Sustiva no longer warrant advance disclosure of the Sustiva prescription? Or, if on the other hand not, how best might one discretely alert the testing center / lab of the Sustiva prescription without the disclosure somehow ending up on the lab report / test results ultimately returned to the employer? And finally, what if any options might a non-disclosing Sustiva prescribed individual have if by chance he / she received a false positive for Marijuana such that directly resulted in denial of further employment consideration?

Response from Ms. Breuer

There are several tests available for screening for marijuana. Ask your pharmacist for the name of the one that doesn't react with Sustiva, and keep that name in your PDA or your wallet. Whenever you face a drug screening question, mention that you need to have them use the assay (test) called (whatever it is). Period. They have no need of the name of your medication, or of your diagnosis. Generally the report to the employer is just a yes/no report: we found evidence of drug use, we did not find evidence of drug use. Rather than going down the path of figuring out how to solve the problem of a false positive, please be proactive and learn the name of the appropriate test.

Changing ID Physician
working in a shop setting