can I continue in this field for long

I am hiv positive and work in the field of construction how long would i be able to continue, or do I have to start looking into a new career. Thank you for your help.

Response from Ms. Breuer

This is a great question for your doc, who knows your profile, your medical history, and how you're responding to meds, if you're on meds. In general, we are ALL smart to consider what we'd do if we couldn't do our current job, no matter what our HIV status is. Do you have disability insurance on your job? Can you get it? Do if you can. Otherwise (and in any case), consider learning a skill that interests you that wouldn't require as much physical stamina as construction does.

You've asked a smart question. I'll bet you can come up with a smart second choice.

Pre-employment HIV testing
The case of "Shaky Hands"