Looking for job in new state...

I recently moved to New York City and am seeking employment. In the past, I have changed jobs in two other states (MA and RI, with third party group insurances) and never had a problem. Is New York the same? Is this standard for all of the U.S.? What I'm getting at is, could my attempts to find a job here be hindered by the fact that I am HIV+ and that somehow, through a background check or otherwise, a potential employer could find out I'm HIV+ and NOT offer me a job due to this? (and that reason not being to my knowledge). A potential employer should not even have access to this type of information, should they? Thanks for clarifying.

Response from Ms. Breuer

The variations are not only by state, but also by employer. The larger the employer, the more likely you'll receive enlightened treatment.

Your HIV status is no employer's business. The only way they can learn your status is through you. YOu know, I trust, that even if they were to ask you directly, you are NOT obligated to answer any question about HIV status. Focus on your skills, be positive (in the attitudinal sense!) and be professional if they start nosing around about medical stuff: "There is no medical reason that I wouldn't be able to perform well in this job."

I wish you well!

HIV+ Surgical Tech & Desperate for help
Pre-employment HIV testing