Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

the same old
Dec 3, 2004

The numerous responces you, specifically, have given over the years reflects the run-around found by calling any insurance company now days. People who are writting in are looking for help; looking for ways to work with the inherantly flawed and anti-HIV bais insurance system. Your answers acknowlege the walls we already know exist but don't give us the doors someone in your shoes should know. We aren't stupid or inexperience; we are frustrated and looking for help.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I am sorry that you feel that way. When someone writes asking what is available to him, the best I can do is direct the person to resources that I am aware of. For example, if someone is looking for life insurance, I direct that person to NY Life, Mutual of Omaha, Guarantee Trust Life Insurance Company or other life insurance carriers that I know offer coverage to HIV+ people. Each insurer will have different requirements and costs. So the best way for a person to find what would work best given his situation is to either contact each insurance company directly or go through a local broker who can do this for him. The same applies to medical coverage. If someone hasn't had a 63-day break in coverage and is looking for an individual policy, he can apply for a HIPAA policy. The cost, plan provisions etc. will vary from insurer to insurer. In order to get a comparison, a person can either deal directly with the insurance companies and do the research and comparison himself or ask an insurance broker to assist him. I can't change the system. I can only direct people to those resources that are available. Since insured plans are governed by state insurance laws, there will be variations in coverages from state to state. Only HIPAA which is a federal law applies across the country. HIPAA guarantees that a person who hasn't had a 63-day break in coverage can purchase a policy. The coverage provisions and the cost are not regulated by federal law and will vary from location to location across the county. I direct people to the resource(s) that I think can give them the most assistance. I am sorry if this doesn't meet your needs.

Previous
Will I lose my disiability if I try to go back to work?
Next
Locating life insurance information

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.