Urgent Insurance Question

I am HIV+ and in addition had a unrelated catastrophic illness (septicemia) that caused multiorgan failure last year. Because of two medical misadventures, i have compartment syndrome, ischemia, and function paraplegia in my leg and hand.

I am university professor, and we no collective bargaining unit in the form of a union. The university where i teach is under federal jurisdiction, in DC, and plans to switch to a new provider, a new PPO.

I currenly and regularly see 7 physicians--an id doctor, a neurologist a hand specialist, a liver specialist, a neurosurgeon, and severa other. They are all top notch, and the neuro team is one of two surgical teams in the country that performs the reconstructive surgery tthat will be necessary to regain minor use of my extremities. All of them are part of my current plan, but not the new one proposed.

A switch would severely disrupt the continuity of my care, and I believe would jeopardize the quality of the excellent care I have been receiving, and perhaps my fragile life (though i managed to return to teach full time this Fall).

What is opininion of this complications. What is the legality of this? Are thee remedies? Options? I plan on approaching this politically, but I wondewr what the FederalLaws are.

Kindly respond to me before Monday, November 22, when faculty meet to discusss this matter.

Thanks, A.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

The university has the legal right to change insurance plans, even if the new plan has a different network of providers.

Medicaid and Financial Award
LIFE INSURANCE COVERAGE FO BURIAL EXPENSE