Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lots of scary HIV questions on a group plan enrollment form!
Nov 18, 2004

This is similar to a recent question but the answer you provided on this forum did not relate or help me.

I start a new position in next few days with a small company in Tampa (around 20-30 employees). I just got the Aetna Group Plan Health forms to fill out and they really DO ask very pointed questions concerning my HIV status.

I am healthy and I have been HIV positive for 5 years. I take meds daily, see my doctor every 3 months and I am currently covered by my previous employers group plan through COBRA. I have never filled out group health care insurance forms like the ones I am currently seeing and I have never had to answer questions like these. Please advise. I am a bit unsettled by all of this. Can they really refuse to insure me on a GROUP plan with my preexisting medical condition? Is there any real risk at being honest & direct about HIV status with a new employer on healthcare enrollment forms? Obviously, i'm required by law to be truthful but not sure about the present state of affairs with this issue in regards to the size of my new company and Florida. Many thanks for your quick help in this matter!

Response from Ms. Breuer

Without seeing one of these questions, it's hard for me to answer. No, they can't refuse to insure you because of a pre-existing medical condition. If they have specific, direct questions about your experience of HIV testing, whether you've ever tested positive for HIV, then you have to respond honestly, as you know, to avoid insurance fraud. But you're part of the group, period.

I don't know much about the protections you have in Florida, if any, but if you'll send me some of the questions, I can find out whether they're legal.

Previous
PLEASE ANSWER THIS RARE QUESTION
Next
How to talk to a teacher with HIV?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.