PLEASE ANSWER THIS RARE QUESTION

Hello. I ordered 18 pieces of HOney BBQ wings. While I was in the middle of eating, I noticed bright red blood on one of the chickens in my hand. I immediately spit it out, and to my horror the food I was chewing also had this bright red blood looking fluid mashed in it. My finger also had this kind of blood covering it. I also had a small canker sore in my mouth that was just about to go away. This was the only piece of chicken with the blood on it, but I saw what may be traces in the other. I am now afraid that I consumed HIV contaminated blood. Is this a big risk. I ordered them, and then drove home, between the time I received them from the person and actually ate them was approximately 10 minutes. I opened it up the package and let it sit on my counter to cool for about three minutes. I am afraid a worker with hiv might have INJECTED HIS BLOOD into the chicken. A few days later I came down with a sore throat and fever, the doctor said I have strap throat. And I have small headache that lasted a couple days on and off, I think they may be tension headaches. Is this something to worry about in terms of HIV? I Know HIV cannot survive long when exposed to air, but what about inside a chicken wing where there is no air? I may have a swollen lymph node and dry cough two and half weeks later.

Response from Ms. Breuer

You're indeed suffering, but not from HIV. Just from an inflated imagination and a touch of bigotry about people with HIV who work in food service.

Injecting positive blood into a chicken wing? If you were HIV-positive, would you do this? At work? Really? If so, please do not ever work in food service.

Did it occur to you to ask the manager what the bright red stuff was? You could have prevented all this drama.

No, you cannot get HIV from a chicken wing. Or from food of any kind. Breathe. Read more about HIV transmission at this site. And consider inviting a living, breathing person with HIV to talk with you about these fears.

doctor and HIV
Lots of scary HIV questions on a group plan enrollment form!