Do I have to Disclose?

As being recently diagnosed HIV+ I am trying to assemble my healthcare options. One question I have is one of my existing physicians a Rheumatologist that I have been a patient of for the last three years, on my next visit am I legally obligated to disclose my status to this physician?

I live in the State of New York. Thank you for your assistance.

Response from Ms. Breuer

It's always a good idea for a physician treating you for any condition to know your HIV status. However, I encourage you to have a talk with the physician about the fact that you do not want this information in your chart. Begin the conversation by talking about having a bloodborne pathogen and not wanting the diagnosis in your chart. Based on the response, you'll know whether you want to be specific about which bloodborne pathogen you have. If you get a poor response, it might be a good idea to request a referral to another rhematologist from your HIV primary physician. You need everyone who treats you to be on your team!

Physician with HIV+ partner
At a lost