Laundrymat worker

Nancy,

I know this may sound absolutely absurd but I had to ask, if just to calm my so-called "anxiety fears." I was working the other day and suddenly noticed a bleeding cut on my finger. It was one of those cuts where I have no idea where I got it or waht had happened. It just appeared. Anyway, my mind went crazy because hundreds of people pass into and out of the laundrymat each day and my concern was if my finger had touched something like where I put the soap in that had had some other person;y blood on it (bizarre) could that bllod then enter my bloodstream. Same situation for the handles on each machine or the vending machine where soap is dispensed. Then I thought what if a needle was in one of those areas also and pricked me. You never know the types of people that frequent this establishment as well. WHen I finally noticed that I had a bleeding cut it looked like it was smeared against something which is why I am asking these crazy and insane questions..I'm sure you'll agree. Thanks for your honest opinion Nancy. Keep up the good work.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Whew! I don't know what kind of hours you work, but your imagination is putting in overtime!

It's easy to get a cut we don't remember. When that happens, wash the cut with soap and water as soon as you see it, then put a clean bandage on it. That's all you need to do. Your risk of infection with HIV by using the machines at work is non-existent. Remember, for HIV infection, the contact with someone else's blood has to be immediate and intimate. Blood left for a few minutes on a tool or machine is no longer immediate, and there's nothing intimate about the contact, si?

nail salon
About to Graduate