Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Laundrymat worker
Nov 18, 2004

Nancy,

I know this may sound absolutely absurd but I had to ask, if just to calm my so-called "anxiety fears." I was working the other day and suddenly noticed a bleeding cut on my finger. It was one of those cuts where I have no idea where I got it or waht had happened. It just appeared. Anyway, my mind went crazy because hundreds of people pass into and out of the laundrymat each day and my concern was if my finger had touched something like where I put the soap in that had had some other person;y blood on it (bizarre) could that bllod then enter my bloodstream. Same situation for the handles on each machine or the vending machine where soap is dispensed. Then I thought what if a needle was in one of those areas also and pricked me. You never know the types of people that frequent this establishment as well. WHen I finally noticed that I had a bleeding cut it looked like it was smeared against something which is why I am asking these crazy and insane questions..I'm sure you'll agree. Thanks for your honest opinion Nancy. Keep up the good work.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Whew! I don't know what kind of hours you work, but your imagination is putting in overtime!

It's easy to get a cut we don't remember. When that happens, wash the cut with soap and water as soon as you see it, then put a clean bandage on it. That's all you need to do. Your risk of infection with HIV by using the machines at work is non-existent. Remember, for HIV infection, the contact with someone else's blood has to be immediate and intimate. Blood left for a few minutes on a tool or machine is no longer immediate, and there's nothing intimate about the contact, si?

Previous
nail salon
Next
About to Graduate

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.