blood donation

Nancy,

I was wondering if you could help explain to me that I have nothing to fear in my upcoming blood drive at work. I have been tossing and turning regarding fresh needles and recapped needles. What if someone else's blood gets on the tech and they get some of that on the needle used for me to withdraw blood? I know hiv doesn't survive outside body for long and does survive in drug needles but what about needles used to withdraw blood? Can those be a means of hiv infection route through a needle. Please, please explain.

=worried at work

Response from Ms. Breuer

Having donated blood many times, and having worked for 8 years for the Red Cross during the worst of the epidemic, I can assure you that no needles are being recapped and the nurses aren't walking around splattered with other donors' blood. There are no cases of HIV infection from blood donation in this country. (There are in China, but that's a sad story of needles used multiple times.) You are safe as a donor. Please don't lose sleep over this one. Folks at the Red CRoss lost lots of sleep in the 80s making sure that donation would be safe. It is.

HIV+ and Starting New Job
nail salon