The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

union vs. SSA re: disability pay
Oct 22, 2004

Hi. While out on long term disability leave from my union job, I applied (and have subsequently been approved) for a SSA award. My disability pay currently comes from the union; my health insurance comes from my employer. As I am trying to retain my health insurance by the fact that I am still "employed", when do I notify the union of my SSA award; and when do I tell my employer that if I return to work it will only be in the capacity of one under the "ticket to work program" ? If I work a minimum of 16 hours (dubious, but possible) I can retain my health benefits. Thanks so much for being here for us. Dave

Response from Ms. Franzoi

This is difficult to respond to without knowing the details of how your plans work. Since your disability benefits are from the union, the union would require proof of disability periodically as well as information on any SSA disability awards, including effective date. Check the paperwork you signed to determine what your obligations are to the union. As far as your employer is concerned, you are probably on an FMLA leave and should contact your human resources department or labor realtions department to discuss your return to work. Do you have an FMLA letter? Review what this letter tells you regarding your rights and your obligations.

What Information does a Employer get from a drug plan?
Company changing insurance

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint