union vs. SSA re: disability pay

Hi. While out on long term disability leave from my union job, I applied (and have subsequently been approved) for a SSA award. My disability pay currently comes from the union; my health insurance comes from my employer. As I am trying to retain my health insurance by the fact that I am still "employed", when do I notify the union of my SSA award; and when do I tell my employer that if I return to work it will only be in the capacity of one under the "ticket to work program" ? If I work a minimum of 16 hours (dubious, but possible) I can retain my health benefits. Thanks so much for being here for us. Dave

Response from Ms. Franzoi

This is difficult to respond to without knowing the details of how your plans work. Since your disability benefits are from the union, the union would require proof of disability periodically as well as information on any SSA disability awards, including effective date. Check the paperwork you signed to determine what your obligations are to the union. As far as your employer is concerned, you are probably on an FMLA leave and should contact your human resources department or labor realtions department to discuss your return to work. Do you have an FMLA letter? Review what this letter tells you regarding your rights and your obligations.

What Information does a Employer get from a drug plan?
Company changing insurance