Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What Information does a Employer get from a drug plan?
Oct 15, 2004

Hello, I'm a Canadian Employee of a small (9 employee) person division of a smaller (400 employees)of a USA based company. I've recently started HIV Meds, I called what I thought was the insurance company but it turns out they are some sort of middle man. I have found out that my plan is self funded, whatever that means as I've never heard that term before in regards to insurance. I have since found out that the cheques for my drug benefits are issued by this middle man and sent to my companies head office for signature. I'm ver very concerned that everyone will soon know my HIV status and i will be fired. Am I worrying to much about this or not? I know in Canada the employer is only entilted to know the dollar value of the medicalclaim not the actual drugs consumed. Is this the same in the USA? Also what information will my employer have available to them from this third party company?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

With the new HIPAA regs, your health information is protected. The employer only has a right to see what is considered protected health information (PHI) to the extent it is necessary to adminster the plan. It sounds like a third party administrator (TPA) adjudicates the claims and draws the checks on an account funded by the employer (self-insured plan). Most likely, the person signing the checks merely signs a large stack of checks. I wouldn't worry about this. It would illegal for the employer to use this PHI for any purpose other than administering the plan. The employer could not disclose your status to anyone.

Previous
HIV insurance ??
Next
union vs. SSA re: disability pay

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.