Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hospital worker question
Oct 12, 2004

Nancy,

I've read some of your answers and think you do a great job in your responses. My situation is I work in a mental health/chemical dependency hospital and have two exposed deep blisters (About an inch in length) across my finger. The top layer of skin had already peeled off and I did not have it bandaged up while at work. If a fellow employee for instance had hiv, would I be able to contract it from turning the same doorknob as they did seconds later if they had bled onto it for some reason? I ask because once I turned it and my skin broke? Concerned at work every day...please ease my mind..

Response from Ms. Breuer

Please, please take yourself to the transmission section of this site and put your own mind at ease! Doorknobs are completely unrelated to HIV transmission. Completely.

But traces of someone else's blood left on a doorknob could come into contact with your open skin and expose you to hepatitis B, so get that blister bandaged, please! It's a break in your usual germ defense, so it needs to be covered.

Previous
citizenship
Next
Does ADA allow forced transfer of employees?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.