Newly diagnosed with HIV. Now what?
Sep 22, 2004
I have just been diagnosed with HIV and have not see the specialist yet but its scheduled. Also I was in the process of looking for a possibly buying a house as well. At work I have full benefits etc.
My questions are:
1. At work what if anything should I tell them or start checking into regarding this diagnosis. Pitfalls, things I should confirm with my insurance coverage, etc.
2. If I proceed with buying a house (which everyone has to me to move forward with), can I sign up for coverage that covers the mortgage if I get sick etc without telling them of my diagnosis or should I not persue that type of coverage?
Your advice & guidance would be appreciated.
Response from Ms. Breuer
Congratulations on the new job!
1. No, you have no obligation to tell anyone at work. To prep yourself for the kinds of bizarre things that might happen at work, read a bunch of the postings at this forum. Even the bizarre stuff can't faze you if you're mentally prepared. 2. Mortgage disability insurance: inquire about this when you talk with your mortgage broker. Just remember that you cannot lie on an application for insurance. That's called insurance fraud, and the penalties are crushing. If you don't have luck on the mortgage disability insurance, let me know, and I'll try to run something down for you. Fewer and fewer companies write this kind of insurance. OR: ask at work about the cost of buying additional life insurance on the policy you already have with them. If you set up the beneficiary information correctly, you could use that as a substitute for mortgage disability insurance.
Yes, buy the house. Live your life! Protect your own privacy and things should go fine for you.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Would Chlamydia Cause Diarrhea
- What's The Difference Between Bacterial Vaginosis And Yeast Infection?
- What Type Of Doctor Specializes In The Treatment Of Herpes?
- What Groups Of People Are Affected By Genital Herpes?
- What Are The Physical Appearances Of Chlamydia?
- What Are The Long Term Effects Of Gonorrhea?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.