do I need to tell my employer?

I found out I was HIV+ a year ago. Now I would like to find a job but not sure how to go about it I would like to become a chef but I have been told I would not be able to because of my states.I would like to know what I can do and cant is this going to limit me in the job feild?

Response from Ms. Breuer

There is nothing to prevent you from becoming a chef. Like everyone else working in food service, you would be expected to follow universal precautions (safety concerning human blood), but those are the rules for everyone, not just for people with bloodborne infections.

There is no reason to tell your employer. All you need to do is follow the simple, logical regulations for cleanliness and blood spills. If you ever develop a skin condition that makes you wonder whether you should be working until it heals, ask your doctor, not your employer. Your employer doesn't have a medical degree, I'll bet.

We have several open houses a year at my house, and our terrific caterer has AIDS. We don't give it a second thought, because we know he's conscientious about any possible blood spill.

Bon appetit!

About Hiv testing
Worried Nurse