Moving back to USA, coming off foreign insurance

I am currently living and working in Japan, but i am an American Citizen. Yesterday I turned 23 and the dependent Medical Insurance, that i had been recieving from my parents' employer, expired. While I live in Japan i have no problem because I have Japanese health Insurance to manage my HIV, but in exactly one year, 12 months, my contract will end and I will move back home to the USA. I know I can start a continuation of benefits program based on my parents' group coverage right now, but I do not want to pay 12 months of (rather high rate) American medical Insurance that I can't use while i am in Japan and ALSO paying for Japanese insurance. Is there any way I can get temporary coverage or continuation coverage when i move back to the USA in a year from now, when I come off Japanese insurance, instead of having to pay for two Insurance programs at once?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If you let your US coverage lapse, you could have difficulty purchasing an individual policy for health insurance coverage when you return to the US. However, if you were to return to the US and become employed by a company that offers medical coverage as part of their benefit package, you would be eligible for that coverage. Depending on the plan's provisions, there might or might not be a pre-exisitng condition exclusion. If there is, coverage for HIV-related illnesses could be excluded for up to one year. Since you did not explain the nature of your Japanese insurance, I am not sure what type of coverage it is, i.e., is it a governemnt plan, a plan with a company, etc. Maybe it would be possible to only carry the US coverage and not the Japanese coverage. Would the US coverage pay for services rendered in Japan?

Cancellation of LTD Coverage
Medicare card + insurance