Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Long Term Disability yearly review
Sep 3, 2004

I have been receiving a monthly payment from Met Life for the past three years. Every year I am subjected to a review that my doctor has to fill out and send to them. I think it is unnecessary for me to have to do this every year since I have AIDS and the condition will not improve unless there is a cure for HIV. Even Social Security disability doesn't require a yearly review, and I receive three times the amount of money from them as from Met Life. Do you think I could have a lawyer send met Life a letter to stop harrassing me? They cut off payment once so far because the form wasn't sent in when they they thought it should have been. Are insurance companies receptive to waiving the review?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Most insurance companies are not receptive to waiving the review. This is especially true with AIDS. Recent drug treatments have enabled many individuals living with AIDS return to work. It is typical for an insurer to require annual proof of continuing disability in order to remain in pay status. I am sure this language is in your LTD policy (if it was an individual policy) or in your summary plan description (if you are receiving your disability under an employer-sponsored group LTD plan).

Previous
Insurance from employer to self employed.
Next
Cancellation of LTD Coverage

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.