Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Medication Disclosure at Pre-emploment Drug Test
Aug 30, 2004

I'm going for a pre-employment drug sreening, but they want me to bring in all medications I'm currently on. I'm on high blood pressure meds and Trizivir. Am I required by law to disclose the drugs I'm on. And if I don't disclose, is there a possibility of repercussions if they find out later.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Pretty nosy, and they do not have a right to your confidential medical information. They're not the employer's insurance provider--they're a drug testing provider, so they are not in a position to create repercussions for you. They probably run into people all the time who don't know the names of what they take, and then get surprised by a positive drug test.

I strongly recommend bringing with you a written note from your health care provider stating that you do not take any medication that would interfere with the successful performance of your job. (Take that rather than a list of meds, or the meds themselves.) Are you applying for a job driving a large vehicle or fork lift? Operating heavy machinery? If not, this is overkill, in my opinion.

They may be trying to avoid false positives on the drug tests. A few HIV meds do generate false positives. Ask your pharmacist if your meds would. If so, there are alternate tests that will yield an accurate result. Take the name of the alternate test with you if you need it, and please let me know how this goes. I've never heard of asking people to bring the meds with them for a pre-employment drug test.

Previous
New Employment opportunity & Drug testing
Next
insurance

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.