Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

New Employment opportunity & Drug testing
Aug 29, 2004

Hi all,

I am a 44 year old male who recently tested Pos for HIV just this past March. I am showing no signs and feeling great. At the advice of my doctor I expect to start treatment very soon. We are still discussing treatment options.

I am being recruited by a new employer who is putting my through extensive testing. I will be meeting with a Management profiler who will conduct a mental fitness evaluation for potential job evaluation. I expect soon they will request a physical examine and drug test. The position is an executive level position in a medium size corporation based in Pittsburgh, PA. Annual sales are around $600,000.

Do I need to disclose my HIV status? And the second part is when I go for the Physical and drug test I suspect meds will be discovered. How do I address this with my new potential employer?

Thanks, Guy in a dilemma he never thought he would be in!!

Response from Ms. Breuer

Dear Guy in a Dilemma,

You're in less of dilemma than you think. Pre-employment physicals are done to answer only one question: are you fit to work? It's a yes/no, not a "here's what we found" event. Drug tests are looking for street drugs. Ask your pharmacist if anything you're taking could yield a false positive on a drug test. If s/he says yes, ask for the name of an alternate test that will give an accurate answer. Yes, they exist. When you show up for the drug test, hand the tester a note indicating the name of the alternate test that you need.

Privacy is a precious, hard-won right and thrives only when protected. Protect yours by learning your rights at work. You don't have to disclose your diagnosis at work for any reason, since the job you're applying for doesn't look as though it involves doing surgery. If you do decide to disclose eventually, please run that decision through your mind as well as your emotions, and let your mind win. Then wait a few months before actually disclosing. Let them get to know you first through your performance.

See? You're not in a pickle after all. Congratulations and nice work!

Previous
Return to work?
Next
Medication Disclosure at Pre-emploment Drug Test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.