Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv and gloves
Aug 20, 2004

If you were taking care of a patient with full blown aids and got a moderate amount of blood on your glove and had a few cuts on hand under the glove-could you get hiv/aids that way? Can hiv penetrate the glove? When I took the glove off I didn't have any blood on my hand and then washed them very well! Please help!

Response from Ms. Breuer

An intact glove is excellent protection. No, HIV cannot penetrate the intact glove. If there was no blood contact with your hand, you did not experience an exposure.

Interestingly, a patient with "full blown AIDS" may not be as infectious as a newly-infected person who doesn't even know that s/he has HIV yet, because of the high viral load characteristic of early infection. So those gloves need to be standard procedure! Don't let the Chicken Littles who tell you for political reasons that condoms don't work scare you about whether the gloves are effective. When used correctly, latex is a great barrier.

Previous
Me Again (RE: Whats next? July 19, 2004)
Next
HIV Testing in Spain

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.